JTA is proud to welcome Nari Watabe-san to our workshop following his successful run of knife sharpening classes in 2022.
To Book Your Workshop with Nari, please book below.
Nari-san is a member of Japan Hocho Togi Association, a Japanese organisation focused on teaching and expanding the knowledge traditional waterstone sharpening around the world.
The class will comprise of:
- Different forms of sharpening and differences between them.
- Basic knowledge on kitchen knives - Western vs Japanese knives; different profiles of knives; Hardness vs Toughness; 3 types of steels used in knives
- Basic Knowledge on Sharpening - 3 types of sharpness (cutting edges), cutting mechanism, how a knife cut stuff, essential items you need.
- Basic knowledge on whetstones - how to choose right whetstone grits according to types of food you would be cutting and types of steel used in your knife.
- Practical Skills - assessing the knife, posture & position, flattening whetstones, how to hold a knife, Hazuki's Technique to determine sharpening angles by using your finger as a guide, Hazuki's Technique to consistently hold the angle, techniques to grind/sharpen the cutting edge, stropping & de-burring technique and methods, best way to test cut, why paper cut tests can give false information, how to touch up knives on a daily/weekly basis in a matter of a few minutes
- Myth and Pitfalls. Why do so many beginners fail?